SANTA MONICA, Fla.
(AP) The U.S. military said Thursday it would not use its “superior” force in an apartment complex in northern Florida, a move that could open the door for a second, smaller unit to be built in the area.
The decision to keep the two separate units separate was made because of the security threat posed by the building’s proximity to a military installation, the U.N. mission in Sandy Hook, Connecticut, said in a statement.
It was not immediately clear what would happen to the apartments, which are being built in a former military housing complex.
The complex is on federal land and is located about a mile (1.2 kilometers) north of the city of Sandy Hook.
It is home to about 150 people and has no water, electricity or telephone service.
Residents have said the apartments pose a security threat, but the military has said the buildings do not have a direct fire hazard.
A number of U.s. military facilities have been destroyed in the past, including the U,S.
S Indianapolis in 2016 and the U S.
S Suez in 1956.
The military said it had been discussing the development with local officials and the community.